Thursday, November 21, 2013

Taking My South African Husband to my Texan roots



Thanks to technology, satellites and google, last Saturday night I was able to show my husband the house and neighborhood I grew up in. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I have told him stories of growing up in Houston, Texas and how much I loved those early years of my life there. I told tales of bike riding adventures to and from the neighborhood pool and the local 7-11. This was in the '80s when things were simpler and we were all vastly unaware of the innumerable dangers waiting outside your front door. Thankfully summer days and weekends were spent riding your red schwinn as fast as possible down to the pool and spending most of the day getting major sunburns and chlorine soaked bodies. I loved every minute of it. I showed him the park we used to play in and even the house where the bubble boy lived. Without leaving my parents condo in Atlanta, Georgia, we were able to travel nearly 830 miles to see my childhood home. What a great and inexpensive adventure we took. Somehow being able to show him those things brought happiness to my heart that night. 

Have you ever wished you could show the people you love the place you used to call home? Try it out on a date night; what a great way to have a deeper conversation with those you love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment