Wednesday, March 5, 2014

This season of Lent

Growing up in the Lutheran church this was a season I was familiar with each year. We gave up something we loved for forty days to grow deeper in our walks with God. After I became a Christian in highschool I kind of abandoned lots of good practices to just focus on following Jesus and loving Him with all my heart. As I have grown up in my faith, many of those good practices have found their ways back into my heart and life again. God has used them to show me my need for Him daily and I have seen how seasonally they often help me refocus my heart back on Him as I am so easily distracted by any and everything that is not Him. Lent has always been hard for me, as I imagine it is for many of us because it involves a willing sacrifice."Fasting is a tangible, physical activity that points to our spiritual longing to be rooted in Jesus alone and find our true comfort and joy in Him." (Taken from the Gospel Coalition devotional guide for Lent). As a household, we are choosing to participate in Lent this year and are all giving up something near and dear. One of our staff guys, Siyanda, lives on our property and at supper decided he too would join Jeff, Casey and I. So here we go. Forty days to be more aware of my spiritual longing to be rooted in Jesus. I am excited and scared. Lots of refining ahead I am sure of it. Thankfully He is able and He will do it in me. 

Here are some plans that were tossed my way the past few days. All are great, we are doing the one from The Gospel Coalition. Just wanted to resource those
Interested. 



Ann Voskamp:

John & Noel Piper:

You Version Bible reading app also has a bunch of plans for this season. Check them out on your mobile device :)


No comments:

Post a Comment