Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Asher becomes a U.S. Citizen

As promised here is our family's newest U.S. Citizen. Asher Viljoen.  There is a bit of a process involved in getting everything finalized. We had to get his unabridged birth certificate first(which takes 2 months), then I had to get my highschool transcripts sent over because Jeff is not a U.S. Citizen. Then I had to book an interview at the embassy. We both had to come with our passports and marriage certificate(also unabridged) and even give a little oath. The woman behind the glass asked me some questions to make sure I had in fact lived in the states for 5 consecutive years, including what was my highschool mascot. Good thing I remember that; Go SPARTANS! After two hours his application was accepted and in less than a week his passport was ready for collection. The entire process  took 5 months. You could definitely do it quicker if you knew you needed your transcripts and have them mailed before baby arrives. Anyway, here's Asher proudly holding/nibbling on his passport. I am excited to teach him about half of his heritage as he grows up.
 Yes, Asher is a Georgia Tech fan. Go Jackets!

 His daddy will teach him about his South African heritage.
 Already knows rugby well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment