Friday, November 4, 2011

Worth it

Okay, so since I had Asher in March one of the hardest things to do, has been to get back into a running groove. I never thought I would be that girl, the one who struggles to get back into a running routine. I never ran a day in my life before moving to South Africa(unless you count that one day at Elon when a bunch of friends decided to run on campus, ohhhh my shin splints Stacey, which I don't because it was followed by no running for several years). So a few months after having Asher, I "trained" for a 10K with my good friend Chandre. We ran it, in record time for me since I hadn't run consistently in a year at that point. After that, however, I went back to my lazy ways.
I have run here and there and often take Ash with me in the BOB. We love the BOB. Thanks to my dear friend Heather, who suggested the BOB Revolution for average(non-marathoner) runners.  I knew my parents were coming for an Asher visit and that was my motivation to start running again. My mom would stay with Asher, while he slept, and tell me to go run. Which she did today :) Thanks mom. The run was great and got the old endorphins going again. I really do love running, but here in Johannesburg on a lovely spring day, the best part of a run is this...


The Jacaranda is a local tree that sprouts these beautiful purples flowers for a few weeks each spring. All over the Gauteng Province you can see droves of these trees. They light the sky up with bright purple splashes of color.

Okay, back to the running. I am setting up a challenge for myself and for anyone else out there who is up to it. Today is the 4th of November and by the end of the month I am going to run a 10K again.You don't have to run a 10K, but set a goal for yourself, one you know you could reach by patiently and diligently pushing yourself each week. If you are in the states or somewhere that is getting increasingly colder, I think the end of November might be the latest you could do it before it gets really cold, unless you are in Atlanta or further south. Thanksgiving is coming up friends and I know there will be turkey trots happening all over the country, so find one near you. We can do this! I have confidence, especially in the new/young moms. We need to keep the energy up as the little people drain us throughout the day. So, what do you say?? Who is with me? Feel free to add other good ideas for getting in/staying in shape, especially in holiday season. I will add a page on here for the challenge if anyone is keen to jump in. I am pumped now girls(and guys). I love a challenge and now that I have gone public with it, I know i have to do it :)

...and now The Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment